Sunday 1 April 2018

Me, Tarka, 22.5 miles (and two boys....)

(Two boys - brother Jimbo and MK - apparently "Jo pace" is good for looking after dodgy knees and other injuries.....)

I can’t quite believe that yesterday I ran 22.5 miles in the wind and rain along the beautiful North Devon Tarka Trail. According to my official Virgin London Marathon 17 week training plan – that is my last big run before the main event in 3 weeks time.  Apparently its now time to “taper”!

As ever a mental and physical battle to keep putting one foot in front of the other…… the first 13 miles quite straight forward (and lets not forget this is the seventh weekend in a row that I have run at least a half marathon if not more……), the next 9.5 – a real slog and grit.   BUT – OMG – I did it and its done and I am feeling every so slightly pleased with myself and I have to say hugely relieved.

Surely if I can run 22.5 miles, I can run 26.2 miles on 22 April???  4 to find right?

Given that this wonderful 2018 British Winter just keeps on giving, we ran in rain and wind – but no snow.   Cold and chilly, so totally wrapped up against the elements, three layers, gloves, bandannas and full-length leggings.  God only help us if its suddenly hot or warmer weather on 22 April – my poor body wont know what’s hit it or how to cope.

My mantras as I ran the last five miles were  “Are You With Me, Are You With Me?”, “Come On Ella”, “Come On Sophie” and “OMG – you are going to do this Redman, you’ve GOT IT” ………. You would think I would be saying these inwardly and quietly…. no chance, loud and proud.  I get some funny looks from passers by, but who the hell cares? Not me, that is for sure.

Blissful rest now, and looking forward to Saturday night treats and DWW’s and feeling ever so much better than my rather dismal run last weekend of 16.5 miles – on that one my legs just stopped and refused to go any further.  But not today J

London Marathon – I am coming to get you.

And..... if you feel you like helping the cause with cash - then that would be magic 😅

https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-portal/fundraiserPage?pageId=876393





1 comment:

Two big numbers

So 2018 is nearly over and it's been a bit of a year on the old running front as this blog set out to share..... Whilst I haven't...