Wednesday 7 March 2018

This Mum Runs.....

..hell she does.

Tonight I have run six miles with "the Mums".  The most wonderful running group that someone suggested I join back in June. This Mum Runs has completely transformed me from the ad hoc have a go runner, to someone who runs on a regular basis - and OMG is heading towards 26.2 miles any day soon.  Most Wednesday nights I run with them - and their lovely "Run Angels" - who set the route and lead us round.  It's the most extraordinary inclusive and supportive running environment and I am so grateful that I found them and they have helped me find my running mojo and self belief.   I wrote the below for them

I have run on and off for years - but half heartedly, grudgingly and not regularly - so not fit in an shape or format and often had aches and pains and many, many excuses not to run.   In 2011 I had an even bigger reason not to run, my 19 year old daughter Ella was diagnosed with cancer and our lives spiralled into the horrendous world of cancer and everything that goes with that - despair, endless hours, days and weeks in hospitals and quite simply and predictably the cancer taking over our lives.  I tied to run sometimes - but just ended up crying and limping "mentally" home. Sadly Ella lost her battle with cancer and passed away in November 2012.   

A few months previous to her dying she had been in remission and was passionate about wanting to raise money for Teenage Cancer Trust (TCT) - an amazing  charity that specifically supports teenagers and young adults who have been diagnosed with cancer.  She set herself and us a target of £10,000.  In Ella's memory and to help us all grieve and somehow cope without her not being with us any longer - as a group of friends and family we decided to carry on and raise that £10,000 in her name.  Nearly five years later we have reached £200,000 and we are not stopping now!   

Back in May this year TCT announced they were delighted to be the headline charity for 2018 London Marathon - it was a no brainer and despite never really having run more than 10k - I applied for a place and got one (and also places for 7 other family members and friends).  So running had to become a bit more of a mainstay in my life.  I have set a plan and have reached my first big marker - running the Bristol Half Marathon in September - which I did and even smiled and whooped as I crossed the line.   At the age of 57 - I am fitter and stronger than I think I have ever been - all down to regular weekly running which usually involves a weekly 60 minute run with the wonderful BS3 TMR runners.   This  group and the wider TMR community have inspired me with their running stories and experiences.  They have taught me that I can run and talk, that I can run up hills and most importantly that I can enjoy running.  I love their background babble about their babies, little kids and the trials and tribulations of family life with young children.  I love their looping, their waiting, their sense of humour and that they are always there for Mums of any age and shape.

The Mum runs - "hell she does"!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Two big numbers

So 2018 is nearly over and it's been a bit of a year on the old running front as this blog set out to share..... Whilst I haven't...